Thank you for your interest in submitting a manuscript to Higher Learning Research Communications. The abridged version of the submission process for first-time users is as follows:
- Create an account and register as an author.
- Log into your account and submit your manuscript using the New Submission link under the User Home tab.
For your convenience, you may find the necessary links, as well as the Author Guidelines, here. For more detailed instructions, see the information below.
In order to submit a manuscript, you must first Register and create an account.
Although it is not necessary to complete the registration process, if you do not have a digital author identifier such as ORCID, we strongly recommend that you obtain one. ORCID is an open registry of unique researcher identifiers that serve as an authority control to ensure author names are properly spelled and cited so that libraries and search databases can better organize their contents and search results. Individual authors and researchers may obtain an ORCID identifier free of charge, and you can always obtain an author identifier at a later time.
Also, please make sure the Send me a confirmation email checkbox next to Confirmation as well as the Author checkbox next to Register as are both checked (right above the black Register button near the end of the page). If you deselect the Confirmation option during the registration process, the system will not send you an email with your username and password. And, you must register as an Author in order to submit manuscripts. If you do not select the Author option, the New Submission link will not appear in your User Home page and you will not be able to upload your draft. If you already registered and the New Submission link does not appear in your User Home page, please Contact us so that we may add you as an author.
Once you are registered as an author and logged into your profile, you will be able to submit your work for double-blind peer-review and editorial review using the New Submission link in your User Home page.
Before starting a submission, please verify your manuscript is ready to be considered. During Step 1 in the submission process, the system will ask you to verify and checkmark the following information:
- The submission has not been previously published in an academic journal, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format. Do not submit files in PDF or with a .pages extension.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, found in the About section.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
- The submission adheres to the focus and scope of the Journal: Academic research related to Higher Education; that is, contributions related to policies and practices in teaching and learning at the tertiary (university) level.
- The author has read the Ethics Statement and observes the accepted international standards for ethics in academic publishing.
Please, verify and ensure your work complies with HLRC’s Ethics Statement and the ethics statement or requirements of your hosting or funding institution (if applicable). Be advised that the HLRC Editorial Team does not condone or tolerate research misconduct and academic dishonesty. Therefore, the editors will summarily reject any submissions that contain or reflect unethical behavior, even in cases of carelessness or negligence due to the author's “lack of time” or drafts prepared “in a rush”.
Once you go over the Submission Preparation Checklist and agree to the Copyright Notice, the system will prompt you to upload your work. Please, note you must click the Upload button before clicking Save and continue in order to properly submit your draft. If you click Save and continue and the system asks Are you sure you wish to continue without uploading a submission file?, that means you did not upload the submission file. In that case, click Cancel and upload the document.
During Step 3, you should include the metadata related to the author and the manuscript. That is, your information and affiliation as author (peer reviewers do not have access to this information), the title and abstract of your draft, keywords that accurately reflect the contents of your manuscript, and information regarding contributors and agencies that provided funding or support (if applicable).
You may leave the References section blank since the Layout Editor will edit, format, and include the proper information if the article is accepted for publication.
If you have any raw data, research instruments such as questionnaires, figures and tables that are not integrated into the manuscript text, or any other materials that may assist peers and editors in reviewing the manuscript, please, upload them during Step 4 as Supplementary Files. Otherwise, just click Save and continue.
Your submission is formally submitted once you click Finish Submission and you receive a confirmation email.